I got this shiny new WDShareSpace 4TB Network Storage System with RAID so that I could pull my files down to it to get organized. I would like to review the device in the future, but for now I want to use it as an example on showing how I was able to fix my problem.
So after I setup the device with a static IP on the network and configured it, I mapped the drive locally on my Windows 7 workstation. Whenever I performed a search, from the start button or from the search bar in windows explorer I could never get results to come up from the mapped drive. I did a little research and found that one option was to make the drive available offline. Obviously, that is a terrible option because I would have stored them on my local drive in the first place if that’s what I wanted to do. After looking at a few more sites, I found a combined solution that worked for me although it isn’t the perfect solution I had hoped for. So here’s what I have done to fix my issue:
- Download and install this Microsoft Hotfix (kb228596). Mine needed a reboot.
- Open RegEdit, Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SearchPlatform\Preferences and add a new DWORD Value titled EnableSearchingSlowLibrariesInStartMenu with a binary value of 1. Exit Regedit.
- Download and install the Windows Desktop Search: Add-in for Files on Microsoft Networks.
After I performed these three steps, my Windows 7 x64 workstation was returning search results from my mapped drive. I’m working on the indexing part, but I wanted to get this info out here before I forgot.